Chelydra serpentina (Snapping Turtle) subspecies?

Peter Zimmer peterle at
Wed Apr 5 13:24:02 EST 1995

Our Munich based organisation has aquired an American Snapping
turtle (Chelydra serpentina) that was found in the wild.  Since snapping
turtles are not indigenous to this region and can not be released we are
interested in returning this fine healthy (and sometimes rather snappy)
specimen to its proper habitat.  We are wondering if there is some one out
there who could help us or knows some body who can, differentiate which
subspecies this turtle belongs to and to what geographical area it is

I (and the turtle) would be very grateful for any information that can help us

Peter Zimmer
Earth Life Shelter Association
Munich, Germany