axolotls

Tim Stabler TSTABLER at IUNHAW1.IUN.INDIANA.EDU
Wed Jul 5 21:32:02 EST 1995

Last summer I received some whites and some darks to start my stock
from.  Last Fall, I received three albinos.  So this spring I mated a
white male with an albino female.  SUCCESS!!!  The eggs were white,
as expected.  The early larvae were white, as expected.  Now that the
larvae are an inch plus long, about 1/4 of the offspring are DARK.
Will someone please explain that to me.  I thought both traits were
recessive.  I was not looking for a white albino, but the dark larvae
kind of throw me.

Thanks for the explanation.

Tim Stabler
Department of Biology