Amphibian Internship Available at Patuxent Wildlife Research

Richard Gordon gordonr at
Thu Apr 3 08:15:22 EST 1997

>     Amphibian Internship Available at Patuxent Wildlife Research Center
>     Patuxent Wildlife Research Center (Laurel, Maryland, USA) is working
>     with the National Park Service and the Environmental Protection
>     Agency to develop an information center on amphibian declines in
>     eastern North America (with possible expansion later) and to work on
>     NAAMP related monitoring protocols.
>     Due to circumstances beyond our control, our initial internship
>     applicant had to back out at the last minute.  Consequently, we need
>     to bring someone into the project rather rapidly.  The internship will
>     last for 6 months (with some possibility for extension), room would be
>     provided (either at Patuxent or in the area), and a stipend of
>     $1,000.00 per month provided.  Interns would be provided with a
>     computer, software, Internet Access, E-mail accounts, and desk space
>     with the other folks who are working on NAAMP and other monitoring
>     projects.  We would like the Intern to begin sometime during the week
>     of the 21st of April.
>     Duties would fall under 3 general categories (in order of priority).
>     1.  Development of a World Wide Web-based information center for
>     declining amphibians.  The Intern would help define the extent, look,
>     and feel of this center and would be responsible for gathering that
>     information and putting it up on the site (no programming would be
>     involved).  In general, it will be a Web-site where outside folks can
>     come to find bibliographic information, researchers, projects, data
>     sets, programs, web sites, and geographic locations associated with the
>     latest information on amphibian declines.
>     2.  Collection of Data Sets.  The Intern will be hunting down and
>     manipulating data sets from the Eastern region that can be used to
>     evaluate monitoring program's ability to precisely track changes in
>     amphibian populations.  This may extend into actually doing some of
>     the analyses in conjunction with the Biostatistician position.
>     3.  Validation of monitoring techniques.  In some cases we may set up
>     field programs to statistically validate monitoring methodologies,
>     this would largely be done in collaboration with other researchers.
>     4.  There is a forth category, which is the category that includes new
>     ideas that we may decide to tackle as the project grows.
>     What we are looking for in the prospective Intern candidate.
>     General computer skills.  Must be very comfortable in a Windows. X
>     environment, experience in word processors, spreadsheets, and
>     databases are important, any experience with web applications would be
>     great, but we expect that most folks will pick that up on the job.
>     HTML experience is useful, but, not a must.
>     Ability to communicate with irrational biologists.  This position will
>     require that the Intern have the ability to articulate information
>     about the project to many researchers and outside collaborators, both
>     by email and on the phone in a way that doesn't alienate those who
> [...]

Dr. Richard Gordon, Department of Radiology
University of Manitoba, Room ON104, Health Sciences Centre
820 Sherbrook Street, Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9 Canada
Phone: (204) 789-3828,  Fax: (204) 787-2080, Home: (204) 589-0411
E-mail: GordonR at