Sequence variations

Alex Jeffries ajeffrie at
Thu Dec 10 04:12:00 EST 1992

                Hi all,

        I think it is great that this group is up and running but it seems to be
a bit slow. Well instead of complaining I'll do something....

        Fact1:  Virus "species" are best described as a population of minor
sequence varients. The term quasispecies is usually used here.

        Fact2:  PCR amplification has an error rate associated with it. The rate
is dependent on the type of polymerase used and other factors such as Mg-2+
concentration and the number of cycles.

        Question1:       When sequencing a virus, where the clones have been
generated by PCR, how many instances of a particular sequence would have to be
seen before people here would be happy that they have the "correct" sequence and
not a PCR artifact.

        Thanks in advance,

Alex Jeffries
Prof. R. H. Symons' Lab.
Dept. Plant Science                     ajeffrie at
Waite Agricultural Research Institute
Glen Osmond, South Australia
(The University of Adelaide)