Tricine gel drying

R.G. Walters mbrgw at s-crim1.dl.ac.uk
Tue Aug 3 05:00:36 EST 1993

In article <CB5HBz.6Iw at news2.cis.umn.edu> kay at snowman.med.umn.edu (Kay Faaberg (Plagemann)) writes:
> I can't figure out a way to dry a 16.5%T, 3%C no urea tricine gel
>without cracking into a thousand pieces. Right now I have limited
>success with 30min fixing, 30 min destaining, 20 min with Amplify, and
>drying for at least 4 hrs at 60 degrees C. I am wondering, since the
>gel dryer is on house vacuum, that the vacuum is too strong or not
>strong enough or too variable. Help is needed.

I think this should be in a FAQ.  I asked about this a while ago, and the answer
was "lower the %C". But obviously that's not possible if you're trying separate
small fragments (I assume that's why you're using this gel system).

One possibility I've never tried is to dry down onto cellulose rather than
3MM.  I forget the exact method, but you wet two cellulose sheets with
MeOH/acetic acid and make a gel sandwich. The cellulose adheres to the gel,
and so supports it while the gel dries, reducing the likelihood of cracking.

I'm told :-)

Robin Walters.                      Robert Hill Institute, Sheffield UK.

I got bored with my old .sig
So here's a new one