anonymous ftp update

sgro at psl.wisc.edu sgro at psl.wisc.edu
Wed Aug 4 22:54:52 EST 1993

Madison 04 August 1993

I was happy to see that quite a few people actually
connected to the anonymous ftp site (rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu)
[144.92.19.130] after my announcement 2 weeks ago. So far
no one has complained about not being able to anything!...

Since there is not a lot of traffic on this group I can
safely post this "update". I am about to add a quicktime
movie file for herpes virus. The easiet is that I just
append the README file (HerpesVirus.README.txt) after
I say "Hello" to every one and happy quicktime computing

J-Yves.

---------------------ORIGINAL README FILE ----------------------
3-D computer reconstruction from cryo-electron micrographs of herpes
simplex virus capsids. Research by scientists at the National Institutes of
Health and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. The reconstructions
were calculated on DEC-VAX computers using programs supplied by Purdue
University. Reference: "Liquid-Crystalline,Phage-like Packing of
Encapsidated DNA in Herpes Simplex Virus", by F.P.Booy, W.W.Newcomb,
B.L.Trus, J.C.Brown, T.S.Baker, and A.C.Steven, in CELL, Vol 64 pp
1007-1015, March 8, 1991.

Madison, 04 August 1993
The original file in the Macintosh "Image" format has been translated into a
QuickTime( movie. The steps were to save the original file from withins Image
as a PICS file, then the PICS file was converted to QuickTime( with the
settings
set to 8 frames per second, 1 key-frame every 8 frames, and the compression
called Apple-Graphics, Grayscale with the Most quality. I tried the JPEGcalled
Apple-Graphics, Grayscale with the Most quality. I tried the JPE option
and the file size was just 3k more... but the image did not look as sharp.

This file as well as other files virus-related files are available on my
anonymous ftp site: rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu [144.92.19.130]

Jean-Yves Sgro, Ph.D.
Assistant Scientist
Robert M. Bock Laboratories
Institute for Molecular Virology