virus info on the net / ICV interface

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Tue Aug 31 03:13:17 EST 1993

Hi Vironauts....

Well, ICV '93 has come and gone, and it was good, saving the catering
arrangements, which were SHOCKING!  Fortunately I missed the opening
reception, and ended up in Harry Ramsden's Fish Restaurant; people who
weren't so lucky ended up queuing for hours to not get food.  The ceilidh
was a mess too; haggis, potato and turnip (waited for for 40 min) do not a
meal make in this modern age, and inefficient bar service compounds the
injury...!

Bionet.virology had an interface (CB fanatics have eyeballing sessions, so
why not?) on the Tues night: present were cup at bones (Chris Upton,
instigator), ed at micro (self), Ulrich Melcher, the Crazy Kraut Canuck, and
Ute, who wanted to learn about this phenomenon.  We suppered at Harry
Ramsden's (if the natives eat there, it should be good), and talked of
FTP, of gophering, of people with bottle scars, and of the various and
disparate viruses we worked with (pox, measles and plant).  A reasonably
good time was had by all (well, by me, anyway).

Re: virus info on the net:

I raised this topic at the Plant Virus Subcomm meeting of the ICTV, and
was told it had been discussed at some length elsewhere, and it was felt
that it would be an insult to the various publishers who put out the
various reports, etc, if we were to put the info in a gopher-accessible
format.  This notwithstanding, Adrian Gibbs informed me that the VIDE
database would be accessible by gopher over the internet by the end of the
year, which pretty much makes a nonsense of the other objections, as it is
a very large and comprehensive compilation of virus data which is
thoroughly cross-indexed and very friendly.  Presumably one can gopher in
to the Australian National University server as is the case at present, to
access the improved database.

Animal/human virologists are
catered for too, in the form of an internet-accessible databse for 530
arboviruses and 180 other viruses created by Kolaskar and Naik
(Intervirology 34:133-141, 1992).  This is available on the Microbial
Strain Data Network (MSDN) thru Dialcom (US), Telecom Gold (UK), and
internet (authors do not say how...!).  Robert Coelen may know more?

So, a start has been made on getting virus info net-accessible for all us
junkies - Alan Brunt (also involved with VIDE) thinks getting the CMI/AAB
Descriptions of Plant Viruses onto disk/archive is an excellent idea, and
ought to be pursued vigorously (Cris Woolston, you listening?).

Keep well, virus lovers:

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |