Enzymes inside the protein coat

Robert Coelen robert at arbo.microbiol.uwa.oz.au
Tue Feb 23 04:11:09 EST 1993

In article <1mbqejINNj75 at geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> bard at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Don Hayward) writes:
>I know that AIDS and other retroviri have the enzyme Reverse Transcriptase
>inside the protein coat with the RNA. Are there any other viri that carry an
>important enzyme within the protein coat?

All -ve stranded RNA viruses must carry at least the enzymes required for
replication of RNA to the point where other non-structural proteins which
are required for viral replication are transcribed into mRNA. Negative
stranded RNA viruses possess a genome which cannot function as mRNA.

Robert Coelen                        |     from the land   d        r
Dept of Microbiology                 |                      o      e
The University of Western Australia  |                       w    d
Nedlands, 6009                       |                        n  n
robert at arbo.microbiol.uwa.edu.au     |                         u