Infectious clones

ROBERT COELEN robert at arbo.microbiol.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 13:15:15 EST 1993

In article <9305307414.AA741460350 at OKway.okstate.edu> biocukm at OKWAY.OKSTATE.EDU writes:
>From: biocukm at OKWAY.OKSTATE.EDU
>Subject: Infectious plasmid clones
>Date: 30 Jun 93 15:12:30 GMT

>We are in search of an infectious plasmid DNA construct containing the genome
>of a tobamovirus (preferably TMV).  Has anyone made such a gem yet? Is anyone
>trying?  Any hints will be appreciated.

The infectious DNA clone seems to be somewhat of a preoccupation in the RNA
virology world. Not surprising when you think what sort of possibilities this
opens up with respect to structure function studies. Something the DNA
virologists have had for a long time, although on the whole they have to
contend with much larger genomes.

Does any one have any suggestions as to why flavivirus cDNA clones tend to
fall apart in high copy number plasmids ? On the same topic, 5' half clones
from the same virus group also tend to slow cell growth, particularly when the
oxygenation of the broth is not 100%.
Kindest regards,

Robert
Dr R.J. Coelen                             phone 61 - 9 - 389 3915
Dept of Microbiology                       fax   61 - 9 - 389 2912
University of Western Australia            snail Nedlands, 6009
                              o      e
                               w    d
                                n  n