infectious tobamoclones

Dave Knorr DAK at
Thu Jul 1 15:35:10 EST 1993

In a former life I was one of the team members in Dawson's lab that
developed infectious TMV cDNA clones.  I remember that a lad from
Japan, last name of Yamato, I think, gave a poster at the Edmonton
virology congress meeting (what, '87 or so?) reporting on production
of infectious TMV via transformation of tobacco with a cDNA-containing
vector.  Used the CaMV 35S promoter if I remember correctly.  Don't
have my references handy, but that might help.

I'm pretty sure Bill Dawson doesn't have plasmids that you just rub
onto plants to produce infectious RNA, but he would probably know who
does (Roger Beachy?).  You can contact him and ask.

        Dr. W.O. Dawson
        Citrus Research Exp. Station
        700 Experiment Station Road
        Lake Alfred, FL.  33850