5'cap

fzestabr at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu fzestabr at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 7 18:45:17 EST 1993

Hello,

I finally figured out how to post in the newsgroup--its a great feeling
after two weeks of struggling.

I am not a virologist (yet). My experience lies in plant molecular biology
of nitrogen fixation but now I have found myself working in a virology lab
with Maize Strip Virus. Just trying to network here.

So here's my question:
   Does anybody know where I can get antibody to the 5'cap structure?
(I wrote Ted Munns months ago and no response yet or expected by now.)

I have been trying to determine if the mRNA of MStV is capped or not. My
previous strategy was to treat RNA with tobacco acid pyrophoshatase, calf
intestinal phosphatase and finally polynucleotide kinase with P32 ATP.

It hasn't been easy. It worked great to determine if the genomic RNA of
MStV is capped or not but I have been unable to repeat the experiment with
purified mRNA of MStV. Plus I have to use large quantities of p32 (mCI)
which is quite unpleasant.

By the way I will be at the ASV meeting.

Elizabeth
fzestabr at bullwinkle.ucdavis.edu