Hanta virus?

bhjelle at carina.unm.edu bhjelle at carina.unm.edu
Sat Jul 10 16:23:09 EST 1993

In article <robert.44.2C3AA1F0 at arbo.microbiol.uwa.edu.au> robert at arbo.microbiol.uwa.edu.au (ROBERT COELEN) writes:
>In article <robison1.741968236 at husc.harvard.edu> robison1 at husc10.harvard.edu (Keith Robison) writes:
>>        Would someone be kind enough to post a "character sketch"
>>of the Hanta virus, the one apparently responsible for a number of
>>deaths in the American Southwest?  Genome type, basic construction,
>>relatives, etc?
>
>The reply from our kraut kanuck in the 'up above' gave a very nice sketch of
>the Hantaviridae. The recent deaths in the American South-west is another
>matter. Sofar my line of info on this is that it appears to be a as yet
>undescribed Hantavirus, but this needs more confirmation. When I get it you'll
>get it. Does anyone from CDC read this newsgroup ?? Flame ! Flame !

Some of us were suspicious when we first heard about the positive
serology that the hantavirus ARDS (HARDS) virus was going to
be Prospect Hill Virus (PHV). PHV is the prototype New World
hantavirus; it is rather distantly related to Hantaan (the
prototype hantavirus) but more closely aligned with Puumala,
the nephropathia epidemica virus. However, word from those
invited to the mammalogist gathering at CDC last Friday is
that HARDS virus (based on very limited PCR-sequence data
from the G2 envelope gene) lies somewhere between Puumala
and Prospect Hill, but is distinct from PHV.

Apparently Stuart Nichol, the molecular biology honcho at
Special Pathogens (CDC), ran some 1000 parsimony analyses
before coming to the above conclusion.

HARDS virus RNA has been detected in the lungs of a few
HARDS victims, but as yet the virus has not taken to
cultivation in Vero cells or others, tho rumors abound
that CDC really has it growing...

Brian