Question regarding HCV

bhjelle at carina.unm.edu bhjelle at carina.unm.edu
Mon Jul 12 10:16:55 EST 1993

In article <21h2lt$4mp at quad.wfunet.wfu.edu> youngfm at wfu.edu (frank mobl young) writes:

>A family member has reportedly contracted the C strain of Hepatitus.  I
>would be greatly interested in learning more of the particular affliction.
>From my understanding, it is a viral infection that destroys the liver.
>I was also told that it is incurable, and in the long run, fatal.  Can
>someone tell me where I might find more information, especially along the
>lines of research.  If anyone knows about the disease to a greater extent,
>or perhaps knows of some places I might look, your comments would also be
>greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advavce for any information you may share,

I wouldn't use the term "fatal", since a recent NEJM study was
unable to demonstrate *any* decrease in lifespan consequent to
HCV infection. "Destroys the liver"- hmmm. It is *easy* to find
people with HCV with evidence of chronic, ongoing liver
inflammation, but very hard to find those whose infection
has harmed the liver enough to produce clinical liver failure.

Brian