wine virology

suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de suter at VAX.MPIZ-KOELN.mpg.d400.de
Thu Jul 22 05:53:42 EST 1993

dear viruses,

on my question below:
+>
+> could anybody give me information on the major viruses that attack wine (or
+> grape). i have carried out a literature search, but would appreciate something
+> like a review.....

i received 2 answers:

+Grapevine fanleaf nepovirus, grapevine leafroll closteroviruses I-V, gv A
+closterovirus, gv Algerian latent tombusvirus, gv Bulgarian latent
+nepovirus, gv chrome mosaic nepovirus, gv Tunisian ringspot nepovirus, gv
+yellow speckle viroids I and II - apart from anything else that infects
+grapevine, like the various ilarviruses....  Ever wonder why you get that
+glorious colour from autumn vineyards?  Grapevine leafroll....
+
+  ____________________________________________________________________
+ | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |

and

+well i read your article, we do a lot of wine stuff down here, and i work on
+viroids.  there are some specific viroids that attack grapevines.  if attack is
+the right word to use.  if you let me know a bit more about what info you want,
+ie, viruses, bacteria, fungi or what are you interested in.  i spose its
+viruses, as this is a virus group, but i would be happy to gather some info for
+you whatecver pathogens you are interested in.  i do insitu hybridisation under
+the electron microscope, viruses and viroids are my principal targets.  whats
+your interest??
+
+hoping to hear from you soon,
+
+regards
+
+Rod Bonfiglioli, Waite Agricultural Research Institute,
+University of Adelaide, South Australia.
+e-mail rbonfigl at waite.adelaide.edu.au

i remember that there are some viruses (especially from wine?) that have
a complicated tRNA like structure at the 3' end. is this specific for wine-
viruses, or may they be found in other species also, and what is the
possible relevance of this ? is this related to viroids in some way ?

not being a virologist (more like a small rna 'liefhebber') especially the
link towards snRNA interests me.

cheers,
clemens
Dr. Clemens Suter-Crazzolara, PhD
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Zuechtungsforschung
Abteilung Genetische Grundlagen der Zuechtungsforschung
Carl-von-Linne Weg 10,        D-50829 Koeln, Germany
Tel.xx49.221.5062-221    Fax.-213      e-mail: suter at vax.mpiz-koeln.mpg.d400.de