AVAILABLE: ANONYMOUS FTP FOR VIROLOGY

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Mon Jul 26 03:05:46 EST 1993

> Date:          Fri, 23 Jul 1993 14:47:50 +0000 (GMT)
> From:          c.j.woolston at appbiol.hull.ac.uk (C.J.Woolston)
> Subject:       RE: AVAILABLE: ANONYMOUS FTP FOR VIROLOGY
> To:            virology at net.bio.net

> Dear Jean-Yves,
>
> >I have recently created an anonymous ftp site on my
> >workstation...

[stuff deleted]

> This is excellent news - I am working with HyperCard to produce tutorial
> materials for my undergraduate virology and plant virology courses. The

Seconded!

[s d]

> Ed - perhaps some of your phylogenetic mapping diagrams could go on too -
> what do you think? It would be useful as I discuss viral evolution and
> conservation of genome organisation at second and third year level.

I think it's an excellent idea: I have a number of graphics, including
replication strategy of Bromoviridae (about to appear in 6th Report of
ICTV) which could be of value.  In addition I have any number of
phylogenies, including coat protein and 3'-UTR trees for all known
sequenced potyviruses, coat protein/ movement protein /replicase phylogeny
for Bromo- and related viridae (NOT appearing in 6th Rep ICTV - hidebound
conservatives, grumble grumble), replication-associated protein phylogeny
for picorna- and -like viruses, and "module linkage diagrams" which
purport to explain the "cassette assemblage" concept of plus-strand
RNA virus evolution.

Anyone else got computer-friendly graphics, etc, for this sort of co-
operative venture?

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |