viral pathogenesis

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Fri Jul 30 18:38:35 EST 1993

In article <1993Jul30.141357.12888 at Virginia.EDU> mgk2r at Virginia.EDU ("Michael G. Kurilla") writes:
>I have recently have gotten hooked into these forums and I am
>impressed with the range of topics.  The virology group is a
>particular interest since I work on EBV (Epstein-Barr virus).
>I am most interested in aspects of viral pathogenesis.  While
>this touches (alot) on immunology, the mainstream immunologists
>seem to ignore anything that happens from the viral end beyond
>the generation of peptide epitopes.  Therefore this group seems
>most appropriate.  Since viruses appear to have figured out the
>most feasible ways of doing things, lessons from other viral
>systems would probably be instructive to all.  Is there
>interest out there for people thinking out loud about these
>issues?

YES! ..... I am studying the +ve ssRNA Pestivirus, Bovine Diahrrea Virus
(BVD).
At the nucl seq level it is quite variable ... proteases that it codes for
would appear to be major regions of concern, especially regarding the
variable pathogenicity of this virus. I suspect that at least one of these
proteases bears "too" strong a resemblance with host ubiquitin pathway
based protease(s) ... any comments on this ... similar traits observed
with other (especially similar, that is, ssRNA type viruses)?

Progress towards more thorough characterization of this virus have been
slowed in part due to its genetic variability.

Currently there appears to be an epidemic of this (no pun intended) almost
ubiquitous virus in cattle, especially in confined veal calves. There's
also a VERY virulent form that is appearing "here & there", resulting in
nearly total herd loss, in manner of days!

BVD infection in utero often leads to;
- still birth,
- persistent viremia in those surviving birth
- immune supression in persistently infected animals

Thus entire herds can become infected &/or carriers.

Any ideas, anecdotes?

What about human counterparts to this virus (related to Hog cholera and
Border (sheep) Disease virus)?

regards,
Andre Hamel                                 email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services                lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
Infectious & Genetic Disease                     FAX: (204) 945-8062
Mol.Biol.Lab., Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA