Infectious plasmid clones

biocukm at OKWAY.OKSTATE.EDU biocukm at OKWAY.OKSTATE.EDU
Wed Jun 30 10:12:30 EST 1993

I am the author of the "Picorna-like viruses" posting.  I forgot to identify
myself (see bottom of this message for ID).  I have another matter to raise:

For some time, plant virologists have been generating infectious RNAs by in
vitro transcription of plasmid DNA templates.  Recently, at least four papers
have appeared reporting the construction of plasmid DNAs that allow the plant
to produce the transcripts.  These are thus infectious plasmid DNAs.

We are in search of an infectious plasmid DNA construct containing the genome
of a tobamovirus (preferably TMV).  Has anyone made such a gem yet? Is anyone
trying?  Any hints will be appreciated.

Ulrich Melcher
Biochem & Mol Biol
Oklahoma State Univ