Herpes movie (was=Re: Quicktime movies)

jean-yves sgro sgro at rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu
Mon Nov 1 17:48:44 EST 1993

In article <1993Oct31.172239.7370 at gserv1.dl.ac.uk>, C.J.Woolston at uk.ac.hull.applied-biology (Cris Woolston) writes:
|> Hi All,
|>
|> Just to add my voice to the support for Jean-Yves' ftp site. I have
|> downloaded both the Herpes and the Rhinovirus QTmovies, and have built them
|> into my first year U/G virology course. Now for a slight problem - I will
|> be using the movies in my lecture next week, but now I come to review them
|> I find that I am not sure what is happening in the opening few frames of
|> the HSV-1 movie by B. Trus (NIH).
|> The particle appears to expand, and the capsomers become distinct. Could
|> anyone who understands viral structure, or who knows the answer please mail
|> this poor confused gene-jockey - preferably before next week!
|>
|> Many thanks,
|>
|> Cris
|>
|> ps I will let you all know what sort of response I get from the undergrads
|> to the use of this sort of educational aid - my experience from similar
|> material that I use in my plant physiology lectures is that they love it,
|> and it really helps to turn them onto the subject.
|>
|> pps Ed - I've not forgotten about the CMI/AAB datasheets!
|>
|> _________________________________________
|>   Cris Woolston
|>   Department of Applied Biology
|>   University of Hull, UK
|>
|>   E-mail: C.J.Woolston at appbiol.hull.ac.uk
|>   Phone:  +44 482 465549
|>   Fax:    +44 482 465458
|> __________________________________________

You may have missed the "README" file that is with the Quicktime
movies:
/pub/QuickTime-QuickPICS/Herpes-EM/HerpesVirus.README.txt

However this gave me the opportunity to "update" it by including
the summary of the original article describing the structure
of Herpes (HSV-1).

Basically what you see in the inside of the virus is the
core of DNA that is packaged.

For everybody's sake I reproduce here the current README file
listed above:

THE ORIGINAL FILE IN IMAGE FORMAT IS AVAILABLE FROM:

nimh.nih.gov   [128.231.98.32 ] as :
pub/nih-image/HerpesVirusMovie.sit.bin

---------------------ORIGINAL README FILE ----------------------
3-D computer reconstruction from cryo-electron micrographs of herpes
simplex virus capsids. Research by scientists at the National Institutes of
Health and the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. The reconstructions
were calculated on DEC-VAX computers using programs supplied by Purdue
University. Reference: "Liquid-Crystalline,Phage-like Packing of
Encapsidated DNA in Herpes Simplex Virus", by F.P.Booy, W.W.Newcomb,
B.L.Trus, J.C.Brown, T.S.Baker, and A.C.Steven, in CELL, Vol 64 pp
1007-1015, March 8, 1991.
01NOV1993
I reproduce here the summary of the article cited above -JYS-

SUMMARY:
--------
The organization of DNA within the HSV-1 capsid has been
determined by cryoelectron microscopy
and image reconstruction. Purified C-capsids, which are
fully packaged, were compared with A-capsids, which are
empty.
Unlike A-capsids, C-capsids show fine striations and
punctate arrays with a spacing of ~2.6 nm. The packaged
DNA forms a uniformly dense ball, extending radially as far
as the inner surface of the icosahedral (T=16) capsid
shell, whose structure is essentially identical in
A-capsids and in C-capsids. Thus we find no evidence
of the inner T=4 shell previously reported by Schrag et al.
[*SchragJD, Venkataram Prasad BV, Rixon FJ, and Chiu W. (1989).
Three-dimensinal structure of the HSV1 nucleocapsid. Cell
56,651-660)*added by JYS] to be present in C-capsids.
Encapsidated HSV-1 DNA closely resembles that previously visualized
in bacteriophages T4 and _lamda_, thus supporting the idea
of a close parallelism between the respective assembly
pathways of a major family of animal viruses (the
herpesviruses) and a major family of bacterial viruses.

Madison, 04 August 1993

The original file in the Macintosh "Image" format has been translated into a
QuickTime( movie. The steps were to save the original file from withins Image
as a PICS file, then the PICS file was converted to QuickTime( with the settings
set to 8 frames per second, 1 key-frame every 8 frames, and the compression
called Apple-Graphics, Grayscale with the Most quality. I tried the JPEG option
and the file size was just 3k more... but the image did not look as sharp.

This file as well as other files virus-related files are available on my
anonymous ftp site: rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu [144.92.19.130]

Jean-Yves Sgro, Ph.D.
Assistant Scientist
Robert M. Bock Laboratories
Institute for Molecular Virology
1525 Linden Drive
Madison Wi 53706 - USA -

tel : 608-262-7464
fax: 608-262-7414
sgro at macc.wisc.edu

THE ORIGINAL FILE IN IMAGE FORMAT IS AVAILABLE FROM:

nimh.nih.gov   [128.231.98.32 ] as :
pub/nih-image/HerpesVirusMovie.sit.bin

Madison 17 Aug 93

For those using PC and/or Windows the files ending with .TIFF, BMP
and GIF are the same IMAGE (not movie) showing ONE FRAME of the
movie to give yuo an idea of the movie content.
They should be transfered as BINARY.

Madison07 Septembre 1993

For those with PC again, I created a new directory in this folder
named for-PC now containing the GIF and TIFF files.

I also created 2 FLI movies on the SGI. I can play them on my SGI FLI
player but I cannot know if they will work on a PC.
I have found 3 FLI players for PC in some anonymous FTP site and I
put them here as well. I know NOTHING about those program. They came
just like that with no manual pages and I have NO CLUE how to use
them, since I don't 'do' DOS or WINDOWS.....

THE FLI movies are:
HP.fli = the complete movie with all 126 frames
HP.short.fli = only 9 frames for testing
plug2.fli =  a FLI movie that I KNOW WORKS showing
		a rotating sparkling plug.

THE PLAYER ARE: