viruses on the net...! (Real ones)

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Thu Nov 18 09:26:09 EST 1993

So, vironetters:

As a followup to posts following the Virology Congress, I gophered
into ANU (sounds uncomfortable, but quite easy, using Hgopher and
Win), and came up with some gems: I post a selection below; I saved
a GIF file of the directory if anyone would like.  First is part of
the 5th ICTV Report on ALL viruses - and WAIS searchable, so viruses
are o the net...! - and then a description of plant viruses in
Australia.  Kudos all around, I'd say!

    List of approved names of virus families/groups and members

   The list is compiled from The Classification and Nomenclature
                    of Viruses as listed in the
    "Fifth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of
                       Viruses" (ICTV) 1991

                     by Cornelia Buchen-Osmond

              Research School of Biological Sciences
                  Australian National University
                        Canberra, Australia

GPO Box 475                                       Phome: (06)
249-4842
Canberra City, ACT 2601                           Fax:   61 6
249-0758
Australia
e-mail:Buchen at RSBS.edu.AU

1. Family  Adenoviridae

                     Reported by W.C. Russell

  Genus
     Mammalian Mastadenovirus adenoviruses

     Type species
          Human adenovirus 2 H 2

     Hosts English name Zoological name          Serotype
designation

     Man                 Homo sapiens                  h1-h47
     Monkey              Antropoidea (Simian)          sim1-sim27
     Cattle              Bos taurus                    bos1-bos10
     Pig                 Sus domesticus                sus1-sus4
     Sheep               Ovis aries                    ovi1-ovi6
     Horse               Equus cabelius                equ1
     Dog                 Canis familiaris              can1-can2
     Goat                Capra hircus                  cap1
     Mouse               Mus musculus                  mus1-mus2

  Genus
     Avian adenoviruses       Aviadenovirus

     Type species
          Fowl adenovirus 1 (CELO) GAL 1

     Hosts English name   Zoological name        Serotype
designation

     Fowl                Galius domesticus               gal1-gal2
     Turkey              Meleagris gallopavo             mel1-mel3
     Goose               Anser domesticus                ans1-ans3
     Pheasant            Phasianus colchicus             pha1
     Duck                Anas domestica                  ana1-ana2

2. Group  Alfalfa mosaic virus group

                      Revised by R. Goldbach

  Genus
     Alfalfa mosaic virus

     Type species
          Alfalfa mosaic virus

3. Family      Arenavirus group         Arenaviridae

                    Reported by M.J. Buchmeier

  Genus
     LCM virus group          Arenavirus

     Type species
          Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCM)

     Other Members
      LCM-Lassa Complex:
          Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus
          Lassa
          Mobala
          Mopeia
          Ippy

      Tacaribe Complex:
          Tacaribe
          Junin
          Macupo
          Amapari
          Parana
          Tamiami
          Pichinde
          Latino
          Flexal

4. Family      Baculoviruses            Baculoviridae

                       Reported by M. Wilson

Subfamily
Occluded baculovirusesviruses      Eubaculovirinae

  Genus
     Nuclear polyhedrosis virus (NPV)
  Subgenus
     Multiple Nucleocapsid Viruses (MNPV)

     Type species
          Autographa californica nuclear polyhedrosis virus (AcMNPV)

     Other Members
          Choristoneura fumiferana MNPV (CfMNPV)
          Mamestra brassicae MNPV (MbMNPV)
          Orgyia pseudotsugata MNPV (OpMNPV)......

Viruses of Plants in Australia

Descriptions and Lists from the VIDE Database

edited by
Cornelia Buechen-Osmond
Karen Crabtree
Adrian Gibbs

Plant Molecular Biology
Research School of Biological Sciences
Australian National University
P.O. Box 475, Canberra 2601

and

George McLean

Bureau of Rural Science
Department of Primary Industry and Energy
P.O. Box 858, Canberra, A.C.T., 2601

The Australian National University
Research School of Biological Sciences
Canberra 1988

CONTENTS

PREFACE

1. INTRODUCTION
1.1 The VIDE database
1.2 Layout and use of the book
1.3 Plant virus systematics
1.4 Literature cited

2. INDICES OF KNOWN NATURAL HOSTS OF PLANT VIRUSES
    IN AUSTRALIA
2.1 Species Infected
2.2 Families of the Infected Species

3. VIRUS DESCRIPTIONS
3.1 Information about each Virus specific to Australia

4. APPENDIX
4.1 Australian specific Virus Questionnaire
4.2 List of Viruses recorded in Australia

PREFACE

The VIDE project was mooted in the late 1970s, and, with
support from the Rural Credit Development Fund of the
Reserve Bank of Australia, an experimental database of
viruses of legumes data was compiled in the early 1980s.
Legumes were chosen, not only because of their economic
importance, but because the International Working Group on
Legume Viruses provided a convenient source of experts to
help collect information.  Since 1983 the project has been
funded by the Australian Centre for International
Agricultural Research, and additional data on viruses of
legumes and of tropical crops included in the database.
Further generous support from the Rural Credit Development
Fund enabled data of viruses of Australian plants to be
compiled and published in this book.

The VIDE project has relied throughout on the help and
encouragement of a very large number of colleagues.  The
many virologists who collated the data in this book are
listed in the next section, and are specifically
attributedin each virus, or virus group, description.  L.
Watson and his colleagues C. Frylink and J. Lenz of the
Taxonomy Laboratory, R.S.B.S., and M.J. Dallwitz and T.A.
Paine of the Division of Entomology, CSIRO provided
indispensable help  with the theory and practical use of the
DELTA system and associated programs,  and D. Sandilands and
J. Armstrong of R.S.B.S. Computer Unit provided additional
computing expertize.

We invite comment on all aspects of the VIDE Project or its
products, suggestions for expansion of applications of the
use of the database, and requests for any specific part of
the information.  We will be particularly grateful to hear
of any errors found in the collated information, and for
advice or assistance in revising data for individual
viruses.

                                        Editors,
                                        Canberra, March, 1988

Comments to the electronic version of the "Viruses of Plants in
Australia"

The files presented here in electronic form are taken from the
printed
version of "Viruses of Plants in Australia".  Copies of this book
may be
obtained from : The VIDE Project, Research School of Biological
Sciences,
Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 475, Canberra, A.C.T.
2601,
Australia.

For further enquiries contact:
                C. Buechen-Osmond at
e-mail address: Buchen at RSBS2.ANU.edu.au

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |                                      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |      "Lord, won't you buy me         |
 | Dept Microbiology           |          A Mer-ce-des Benz           |
 | University of Cape Town     |     My friends all have Porsches     |
 |                             |          I must make amends..."      |                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |            (Pearl, 1971)             |