Measles outbreak in Garden State

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Tue Apr 5 05:57:54 EST 1994

> In article <2nhi2d$ir at research-01.mskcc.org> sjeffrey.mskcc.org,
writes:
> >I think the problem with the re-emergence of measles is not really
> >attributed to a large amount of unvaccinated people, but the
> >ineffectiveness of the vaccine distributed back in the 60's.  I'm
not
> >sure, but I believe the immunity attained was transient ( 7yrs ?)
and
> >there have been several drives to get the people in that age group
> >revaccinated
>
> I!ll take this question one step further - what about people who
actually
> HAD measles (I did in the 50!s)?  Are we at risk at this point?

Yeah, this is interesting - but think about it, have you had it again?
 Has anyone you know who had the real thing ever had it twice?  My
sister did, but she is peculiar in other respects as well...the lesson
is that it is a monotypic virus, and immunity SHOULD be life-long, if
you had it via the traditional route, or if it was a good vaccine
(that's what I teach my students, and I'm sticking by it!).

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |      "You got to...accen-tu-ate      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |             The positive             |
 | Dept Microbiology           |       Ee-liminate the negative       |
 | University of Cape Town     |      Latch on to the affirmative     |
 |                             |   Don't mess with Mr In-be-tween..." |                      |
 | 7700, South Africa          |              - Unknown               |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023       |           (Homefront, 1992)          |