Extraction of total RNA from serum

bhjelle at unm.edu bhjelle at unm.edu
Tue Apr 5 08:44:08 EST 1994

In article <2neacj$okn at granuaile.ieunet.ie>,  <alec at fin.ie> wrote:

>Hi there please excuse a post from a non bio person who isnt sure whether he's
>in the right forum
>I have been telling a friend about how the Internet is full of wonderfully
>useful information.
>She is working at present on the extraction of total RNA from serum in
>connection with PCR testing for Hepatitis C and would be interested in
>discussing techniques or protocols with anyone else working in the area.  She
>has it working now having overcome a number off difficulties over the last year
>or so.

So why don't you post what she has learned?
:-)

We have had some experience with HCV PCR from
serum, as well as hantavirus. Not enough to
offer any substantial tips, but one approach
that seemed to be working is to spike the
sample with yeast tRNA or total RNA as carrier.
The two main problems in our hands seemed
to be (1) very high protein concentration and
(2) low RNA concentration, which lowers yield
on precipitation. The protein can be diluted
away with lysis buffer without digestion,
and comes out on the interface after phenol
extraction.

Brian