picornaviruses

ALAN J. SIMMONS simmoaj at wkuvx1.wku.edu
Sun Apr 24 13:22:20 EST 1994

Hi,

The order Vpg-protease-replicase is conserved within the
polyproteins of picornavirus superfamily members.  In the
poliovirus, Raul Andino (Cell,63: 369-380)has shown that
uncleaved protease-replicase binds to the 5' untranslated
region of the genomic RNA. Does anyone know of any
current research in this area? Could a Vpg-protease-replicase
fragment be added first, and might this be some sort of strategy
for overcoming the problem of replicating a linear genome?  I'm
trying to write my M.S.thesis, so any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks!  :)
--
Alan J. Simmons			E-Mail: SIMMOAJ at WKUVX1.WKU.EDU
Biology Dept.