What is Diafron S3

AHABS HHH at ahabs.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 27 17:40:50 EST 1994

In article <CoMMGo.KqL at ucdavis.edu>, fzestabr at chip.ucdavis.edu () wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a question regarding a chemical used in virus purification.
>
> Thus, What is Diafron S3 and where can I get it? Diafron was used by some
> researchers in Japan and I guess that it is a trade mark name.
>
> Our first guess was that it is Freon. Any response greatly appreciated.
>
> Elizabeth
> fzestabr at ucdavis.edu

I think that you are having the same problem as I did about 2 years ago.  I
concluded then that Diaflon S-3 is the same as
1,1,2-trichlorotrifloroethane (Sigma T-5271), but I cannot find the
reference that made me think this.  It is an organic solvent used to
extract lipids from virus preparations.  I used it to extract Bovine
Adenovirus away from infected cells.  Hope that this is some help.

Peter