What is Diafron S3

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Apr 27 15:20:16 EST 1994

In article <HHH-270494173415 at ganymede.ahabs.wisc.edu>, HHH at ahabs.wisc.edu
(AHABS) wrote:

> In article <CoMMGo.KqL at ucdavis.edu>, fzestabr at chip.ucdavis.edu () wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a question regarding a chemical used in virus purification.
> >
> > Thus, What is Diafron S3 and where can I get it? Diafron was used by some
> > researchers in Japan and I guess that it is a trade mark name.
> >
> > Our first guess was that it is Freon. Any response greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Elizabeth
> > fzestabr at ucdavis.edu
> I think that you are having the same problem as I did about 2 years ago.  I
> concluded then that Diaflon S-3 is the same as
> 1,1,2-trichlorotrifloroethane (Sigma T-5271), but I cannot find the
> reference that made me think this.  It is an organic solvent used to
> extract lipids from virus preparations.  I used it to extract Bovine
> Adenovirus away from infected cells.  Hope that this is some help.
> Peter

Like Peter, I've used said compound to extract human adenoviruses from
infected cells. We simply refered to the solvent as "freon" aka
1,1,2-trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane and is available from Fisher (no
relation) and other suppliers of fine chemicals.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

Karl Fischer
Dept. of Medical Microbiology, University of Alberta
Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA
kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca

He gave them a smile, pulled out a bottle of wine
Said 'I never existed, you've been wasting your time.'
<Take a Long Line - Angel City>