What is Diafron S3

Karl Fischer kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Wed Apr 27 15:20:16 EST 1994

In article <HHH-270494173415 at ganymede.ahabs.wisc.edu>, HHH at ahabs.wisc.edu
(AHABS) wrote:

> In article <CoMMGo.KqL at ucdavis.edu>, fzestabr at chip.ucdavis.edu () wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a question regarding a chemical used in virus purification.
> >
> > Thus, What is Diafron S3 and where can I get it? Diafron was used by some
> > researchers in Japan and I guess that it is a trade mark name.
> >
> > Our first guess was that it is Freon. Any response greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Elizabeth
> > fzestabr at ucdavis.edu
>
> I think that you are having the same problem as I did about 2 years ago.  I
> concluded then that Diaflon S-3 is the same as
> 1,1,2-trichlorotrifloroethane (Sigma T-5271), but I cannot find the
> reference that made me think this.  It is an organic solvent used to
> extract lipids from virus preparations.  I used it to extract Bovine
> Adenovirus away from infected cells.  Hope that this is some help.
>
> Peter

Like Peter, I've used said compound to extract human adenoviruses from
infected cells. We simply refered to the solvent as "freon" aka
1,1,2-trichloro-1,2,2-trifluoroethane and is available from Fisher (no
relation) and other suppliers of fine chemicals.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress.

--
Karl Fischer
Dept. of Medical Microbiology, University of Alberta
kfischer at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
tyr-2 at bones.biochem.ualberta.ca

He gave them a smile, pulled out a bottle of wine
Said 'I never existed, you've been wasting your time.'
<Take a Long Line - Angel City>