HTML virology...

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Aug 18 03:24:37 EST 1994

> In Article <MAILQUEUE-101.940817092310.288 at molbiol.uct.ac.za>,
> ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za ("RYBICKI, ED") wrote:

> >construct a virology "hypertext", based loosely on what I teach
> >second-year-undergraduates.  That is to say, introductory
> >molecular-based virology concentrating on replication mechanisms.
>
> A great idea!!!

Thanks...!

> I'd like to see it. One of my worries has been how do students
like this
> sort of thing? Especially if they have to go to the trouble of
finding a
> computer lab, a free machine and then how to run things.

Our crowd were most excited: they are generally a bunch of terminal
junkies anyway, and we have a dedicated micro lab for our building,
with 3/486s running Windows 3.1, so they're accustomed to the
environment.  Now just to install Mosaic, crippled with a null
Winsock.dll.

> I was thinking of trying to introduce a few things based on the
Wisconsin
> Virology WWW server, but I may have to get my basic virology
course written
> first!!

We have a problem accessing the World Outside in that things are
soooo sloooow, it's not worth building in the real worth of the Web,
which is access to remote sites: everything in my tutorial is
in-built (all graphics, text files are local).  Of course, you lot
in the over-privileged North don't really have this problem, so you
can do that sort of thing.

And in response to:

 > Along this line, are there any people teaching graduate level
virology
> (molecular based) courses interested in putting modules in HTML
forms?

> Zhongguo Xiong, Ph.D

I am going to do some modules of this sort for molecular phylogenies
of plant viruses (eg: potyviruses, geminiviruses), culled from
recent publications.  I am conning my wife (Anna-Lise Williamson) to
do the same for papillomaviruses involved in genital lesions.  I
would be very interested in anyone else's contributions to this as
well - and this is of course the right forum discuss this...I was
prompted into this, incidentally,  by seeing the ASV abstracts book
proceedings on their Teaching Virology Workshop, and thinking that
it was a pity they didn't get into this (except for structural
stuff).

HTML on, comrades....

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |         Well, I tip my hat           |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)     |      To the new constitution         |
 | Dept Microbiology        | Take a bow for the new revolution... |
 | University of Cape Town  |  Then I get on my knees and pray     |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   We don't get get fooled again...   |
 | 7700, South Africa       |                                      |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |      - Pete Townshend, 1972          |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |      (Won't get fooled again)        |