HTML virology

Jack M. Bernstein, M.D. bernstein at wsu-id.dayton.oh.us
Thu Aug 18 12:24:32 EST 1994

In article <9407187772.AA777221914 at internetmail.pr.cyanamid.com> Bart_Corsaro_at_USLRMG01 at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM writes:
>From: Bart_Corsaro_at_USLRMG01 at INTERNETMAIL.PR.CYANAMID.COM
>Newsgroups: bionet.virology
>Subject: re: HTML virology
>Date: 18 Aug 1994 04:57:32 -0700
>Sender: daemon at net.bio.net

>Dear colleagues:

>Over the last couple of days I have been following the conversations concerning
>HTML Virology.  Being new to the world of Bulletin Boards I have just one long
>questions.  What are HTML, "hypertext"and the World-Wide Web?

HTML= hypertext markup language

hypertext= essentially, highlighted words within your document. Clicking on
them will take you directly to other linked text/ programs. In Windows, you
see this in the help files, whereclicking on a word will bring you to a
subset, example and so-forth. With Mosaic, clicking on a highlighted word will
take you to the home computer where the data is stored and either bring up the
text/ pictures or run a program.

World Wide Web= a way of linking/ crossreferencing data in the above manner