Yale researcher in the news

Wolfram Brune BRUNE at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Aug 23 12:50:07 EST 1994

In message <94823182258.~INN-ZEAa00167.bionet-news at dl.ac.uk> Sue Jeffrey writes:
> Does anyone know anything about the recent illness of a Yale researcher
> exposed to some sort of rodent virus? I am very interested to find out
> which virus it was, thanks for any responses.
> Sue Jeffrey
> Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
> New York City
> email: sjeffrey at ski.mskcc.org
I have not heard of this case, maybe because I'm sitting in Germany, not in the
US. My first thought was that it could be a Hantavirus. These viruses are
transmitted from rodents to humans and usually cause hemorrhagic fever with
renal syndrome. Last year, however, a strain of this virus supposedly caused an
outbreak of acute respiratory illness (Hantavirus associated pulmonary syndrome)
in the south-western United States.
I am courious myself to learn which virus was responsible for this case. I'm
sure that some of you folks out there know more about it.

Wolfram Brune
Center of Molecular Biology Heidelberg (ZMBH)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 282
D-69120 Heidelberg
phone: (+49) 6221 566861
e-mail: BRUNE at sun0.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
"Everybody is a foreigner, almost everywhere."