Yale Disease, Handling erro?

Maria Lucia B O Racz mlracz at FOX.CCE.USP.BR
Thu Aug 25 09:39:00 EST 1994

On 24 Aug 1994, RB wrote:

> In article <Cv0FB5.KH2 at world.std.com>
> slandau at world.std.com (steven h landau) writes:
>
> > I read the article about the problem with the virus leak in the boston
> > globe,  someplaces, it said "GLASS" test tube,  other places "PLASTIC".
> > The test tube broke in centrifuge, and he cleaned it up.
> >

> > I work with High Titer Viruses, and wonder what was his error?
> >
> > He was using Gloves, Mask, Labcoat, etc.
> > Was the Centrifuge disenfected with spray, before he tried to remove test
> > tube pieces?
> >
> >  Does anybody have any clues?
>
> I haven't read the article in the paper, but if it was a centrifuge
> tube breakage, then some of the virus may have been aerosolized - and a
> mask is not going to save you from viruses.
>
> Just a thought
>
> Robert Baker
> Dept of Molecular and Cellular Biology
> University of Arizona
> Tucson, AZ
> e-mail: rbaker at gas.uug.arizona.edu

In Brazil, as it was a brazilian virus, Sabia arenavirus, that caused the
problem, I read in newspaper that the virus was transmitted via ocullar
mucosa. I dont know if its true, but sounds reasonable.

Maria Lucia Racz
Laboratory of Virology
Department of Microbiology
Institute of Biomedical Sciences/University of Sao Paulo
Sao Paulo - SP - Brazil
e-mail: mlracz at fox.cce.usp.br