viruses beyond P4 in terms of biosafety.....

mooret at mooret at
Thu Dec 1 10:39:05 EST 1994

In article <D0552G.90M at>, s14840mz at wrote:

> >"There are also viruses that are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety (eg
> >smallpox)"
> What other viruses are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety??
> Thanks in advance,
> Michael

The smallpox virus can not be handled even in P4 containment.  Two
locations world-wide have the virus (CDC in Atlanta and a Russian facility
in Moscow) but can not culture the virus, per an international agreement.
The last virus stocks were slated to be destroyed last year, but a raging
scientific debate among the most eminent virologist of our time has delayed
the event.