viruses beyond P4 in terms of biosafety.....

Michael Poidinger mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
Fri Dec 2 15:30:20 EST 1994

In article <mooret-011294233906 at bc211.biochem.purdue.edu> mooret at aclcb.purdue.edu () writes:
>From: mooret at aclcb.purdue.edu ()
>Subject: Re: viruses beyond P4 in terms of biosafety.....
>Date: Thu, 01 Dec 1994 23:39:05 +0800

>In article <D0552G.90M at umassd.edu>, s14840mz at umassd.edu wrote:

>> >"There are also viruses that are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety (eg
>> >smallpox)"
>> What other viruses are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety??
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Michael

>The smallpox virus can not be handled even in P4 containment.  Two
>locations world-wide have the virus (CDC in Atlanta and a Russian facility
>in Moscow) but can not culture the virus, per an international agreement.
>The last virus stocks were slated to be destroyed last year, but a raging
>scientific debate among the most eminent virologist of our time has delayed
>the event.
                                                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

'Most eminent virologist of our time?  wow! he must be really eminent if he
can argue amongst himself, or was it other virologists first getting 'amongst'
the eminent one and then arguing?

Sorry, couldn't help it.  Anyway, it was my understanding that everyone had
agreed that the stocks were to be destroyed.

Mike

Dr Mike Poidinger  | I Don't need no God, Don't need no Jesus...
Microbiology       | I'm in control, of my body and soul...
UWA, Australia	   | Don't need no religion...
mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au