Sterilization of Blood Contaminated instruments

Jeff Roberts jbr0624 at u.cc.utah.edu
Thu Dec 1 17:26:21 EST 1994

Please excuse my ignorance if I have posted this in the wrong group.  I am
looking for information on cleaning methods for surgical instruments that have
been received direct from a surgery and are still blood contaminated - thus
considered bio-hazards.  Could someone either help me or point me to a
resource where I might find information on decontamination of the products if
the blood is infected with some disease (i.e. hepatitis, AIDS, viral
infection, etc.) so that it is safe for handling?

Additionally, how long can a disease organism live within a blood mixture even
if the blood has totally dried?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated!!!!   Thanks!!!!

Please respond by e-mail:

Jeff Roberts
jbr0624 at u.cc.utah.edu
MegaDyne Medical Products, Inc.