deborah wisti-peterson nyneve at
Tue Dec 6 16:14:16 EST 1994

In article <303933495wnr at>,
Rob Lambkin <Rob at> wrote:
>A few weeks ago there were news reports concerning a fatal viral infection of horses that may or
>may not have been transmitted to a human trainer. I went of on my hols and news coverage seems
>to have dried up, does anyone have any info on this. Thanks in advance.
>Rob Lambkin
>Rob at
>Rob at
>Voice & Fax 01273 670189
>       whatever it takes.... to have a nice day

this is the result of hantavirus. it appears that several (12?)
australian race horses and their trainer (all from the same stable)
were infected with hantavirus and subsequently died from it. the
entire barn was heavily infested with rats. the original post may
still be on your newsreader on rec.equestrian (it was posted a
approximately a month ago).

                         Deborah Wisti-Peterson
           nyneve at  or wisti at
   Department of Zoology, NJ-15, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Grad School: it's not just a job, it's an indenture!=-=-=-=-=-=-=