HEK-293 and EBV

Mr R D Williams lsrgd at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Wed Jul 6 11:20:28 EST 1994

In article <2uq0bq$r4e at agate.berkeley.edu>,
	brunet at uclink2.berkeley.edu (Lisa J Brunet) writes:
>Steve Miller (sgmiller at netcom.com) wrote:
>: As I understand it, the HEK-293 cell line was isolated by transforming
>: primary human embryonic kidney cells with sheared adenovirus.
>: I recall reading that only the 5' end of the viral genome is present in the
>: HEK-293 line. What precautions should be taken when working with this
>: cell line over and above those inherent in working with a human cell
>: line?
>: ATCC warns of infectious potential while InVitrogen ships the 293-EBNA
>: derivative with no warnings of any type.
>I have used 293 cells for more years than I care to mention. I have used
>no special precautions with them. Rarely, do I even wear gloves. They do
>not harbor infectious adenovirus (except if you infect them). I am not
>aware that they contain any human retroviruses.  I would treat them like
>you treat HeLa cells except that they don't attach as well to the dish.
>ATCC probably gives a disclaimer with any cell line that they ship.
>If you have any other questions about them, please e-mail me.

I'll second this  - 293 cells only contain Ad5 E1a and E1b genes, so a
clean stock cannot give rise to infectious virus (although personally I would
in any case wear gloves). Watch out for their relatively poor adherence if you
do glycerol-shock transfections - lack of care can give 'interesting' results!

Richard.
Richard Williams     lsrgd at csv.warwick.ac.uk