AIDS THEORY: COMMENTS?

Wilsonius wilsonius at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 01:31:02 EST 1994

I would appreciate it if some of the virologists in this newsgroup would
eyeball the following (abbreviated) theory about HIV development.
Not being a virologist or medical person, I wanted to know how possible
this concept of HIV development was.

Many thanks in advance.
From: Mike Morrissey <m.morrissey at asco.ks.open.de>
Subject: AIDS Contract 1/6
                        Is AIDS Man-Made?

The theory that AIDS originated in the laboratory has been
circulating in Europe, particularly in West Germany, since late
1986.

The theory hinges on the claim that the AIDS virus (HIV) is
virtually identical to two other viruses:  Visna, which causes a
fatal disease in sheep but does not infect humans, and HTLV-I
(Human T-Cell Leukemia Virus), which infects humans but is seldom
fatal.

Prof. Jakob Segal, the author of the theory, says that structural
analysis using genome mapping proves that HIV is more similar to
Visna than to any other retrovirus.  The portion (about three
percent) of the HIV genome which does not correspond structurally
to Visna corresponds exactly to part of the HTLV-I genome.

He notes that the symptoms of AIDS are consistent with the
complementary effects of two different viruses.  AIDS patients who
do not die of the consequences of immune deficiency show the same
damage to the brain, lungs, intestines, and kidneys that occurs in
sheep affected with Visna.  Combining Visna with HTLV-I would
allow the virus to enter not only the macrophages of the inner
organs but also the T4 lymphocytes and thus cause immune
deficiency, which is exactly what AIDS does.

As further evidence that HIV is a construct of Visna and HTLV-
I, Segal cites studies which show that the reverse transcription
process in HIV has two discrete points of peak activity which
correspond, respectively, to those of Visna and HTLV-I.

AIDS is thus, according to Segal, essentially a variety of Visna.
This has important implications for research, since a cure or
vaccine might be found sooner by studying Visna in sheep than by
concentrating, as at present, on monkeys.