Enterovirus 71

Heather D. Mayor hmayor at bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Jul 15 14:33:25 EST 1994

In article <304me6$bks at search01.news.aol.com>, jeffschuh at aol.com (Jeff
Schuh) wrote:

> What the heck is Enterovirus 71.  I thought enterovirii were just a group
> of other viruses (i.e. Echovirus, Poliovirus, Coxsackie) but now we're
> told by a vendor and have seen in texbooks that Enterovirus 71 is a real
> virus.  Help

Since errors in classification were made using the biological properties of
Enteroviruses 68 -71, all new types since 1969 are being  given numbers
only.  However the virus hepatitis A which was originally called
enterovirus 72 was moved to a new Genus, designated heparnavirus, becuase
of these different unique properties.  Given the general mixed up state of
viral classification new genuses and reclassifications may continue to
occur.

-hdm
H* Heather D. Mayor           *D*  hmayor at mbcr.bcm.tmc.edu    *M

H* Department of Microbiology *D*           OR                *M
H* Baylor College of Medicine *D*    hmayor at bcm.tmc.edu       *M
H* 1 Baylor Plaza             *D* VOICE 713-798-4929          *M
H* Houston, TX 77030  U.S.A.  *D*   FAX 713-798-7375          *M