information about theiler virus

Brad Nicholson brad at corona.med.utah.edu
Fri Jul 29 18:18:29 EST 1994

In article <30ncsi$68g at homer.cs.mcgill.ca>, nedellec at binkley.cs.mcgill.ca
(Patrick NEDELLEC) wrote:

> Hi,
 >
 >I am looking for any information on the Theiler virus (murine
 >encephalomyelitis virus) a picornavirus.

Hello Patrick:
Here at U of Utah , Dr. Robert Fujinami (he has a co-appointment in the
Departments of Neurology and Pathology) works on various aspects of
Theilers.  I rotated with his lab during my first year of Grad School.  A
few comments from membory, Theilers starts out as an asymptomatic enteric
infection that can go on and cause a central nervous system disease.  A
whole bunch of variants have since then been isolated that are more/less
neurovirulent in various strains of mice.  I don't know if there is a
vaccine available, since (memory time here) unless you are a mouse it
probably won't hurt you.  As for antibodies, there is at least one
neutralizing monoclonal that against viral coat protein 1 (VP-1).  I saved
some of my background literature he suggested I read, these may help or at
least get you on track.

Theiler, M. 1934. Science. 80:122

Zurbriggen, A., Hogle, J.M., and Fujinami, R.J. 1989. J. Exp. Med. 170:2037

Zurbriggen, A., et. al. 1991. J. Virology 65:1929

Zurbriggen, A., et. al. 1991. J. Virology 65:1023

Yamada, M., Zurbriggen, A., and Fujinami, R.J. 1990. 137:1467

Also, a search of Medline would probably be wise, as my knowledge is
generally limited to the work of the Fujinami lab.

Hope this helps.

Brad Nicholson              |"If it worked the first time, it wouldn't be
Department of Pathology     |	research."...Brad Nicholson
University of Utah          |	Live from behind the Zion Curtian.
Salt Lake City, UT 84132    |
brad at corona.med.utah.edu    |
or: (801)-581-4365          | My opinions are solely my own.