HIV diploid genome?

Greg Tobin tobin at fcs260c.ncifcrf.gov
Mon Jun 6 12:30:25 EST 1994

Heather Mayor asked if anyone has experimental evidence of HIV having
a diploid gemone.

I am aware of many people who have tried to duplicate the experiments
used to show that other retrovirus genomes are duploid.  None of these
studies succeeded.  This is probably due to technical problems rather than
the presence of a single genetic copy.  I, and others (I'm sure), have
designed several definitive experiments to test this hypothesis.  However,
they all seem to involve too much work for too little gain.  In the end,
we decide to go with the "who really cares anyway" approach.  If anyone is
willing to dedicate about a month making a couple of constructs, I can share
my ideas with you and perform an EM analysis of the result.

Greg Tobin, Ph.D.                        tobin at lcms-1.ncifcrf.gov
LCMS
PO Box B
Frederick, MD 21702