Measles outbreak in Garden State

RYBICKI, ED ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 30 03:17:54 EST 1994

>         NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) -- A measles outbreak at Rutgers
> University forced that state to declare a state of emergency at the
> school in order to vaccinate 40,000 students, faculty and staff.
>         More than 20 suspected cases ....
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Isn't this a little bit of overkill?  And speaking as someone whose
infant son has just been inoculated against measles, doesn't anyone
get vaccinated over there any more?  Is this part of a new trend -
re-emergence of childhood diseases in sophisticated populations which
have allowed vaccination schedules to slip because of supposed
eradication of the disease(s)?  We have endemic polio, measles, TB,
you name it - so we tend to be a little more paranoid.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |      "You got to...accen-tu-ate      |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |             The positive             |
 | Dept Microbiology           |       Ee-liminate the negative       |
 | University of Cape Town     |      Latch on to the affirmative     |
 |                             |   Don't mess with Mr In-be-tween..." |                      |
 | 7700, South Africa          |              - Unknown               |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023       |           (Homefront, 1992)          |