Flesh Destroying Virus hits UK

Richard Burge R.Burge at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Thu May 26 16:31:31 EST 1994

In article <538601464wnr at brighton.demon.co.uk> Rob at brighton.demon.co.uk (Rob Lambkin) writes:

>> 7 cases have been reported in a few months arround Gloustoshire in England,
>> although I heard mention that there had been infections in Norway and
>> New Zealand.
Where it goes by the quaint name of "galloping gangrene"...

>Actually it's staph A not a virus, there haven't been anymore cases than normal,

It's a beta-haemolytic strep. A, and there have been more cases than normal.
About 10 cases of strep-related necrotising fasciitis are expected in the UK
per year - isolated incidents. There have already been 12 deaths, and six of
those were in Gloucester. It may not be a new disease, but the incidence is
pretty high compared to what we're used to. Still not really that significant
compared to deaths from cancer, heart attacks, car accidents or whatever.

Richard Burge         | e-mail:
King's College London |  R.Burge at bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk