more on diploid viruses

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 2 03:02:57 EST 1994

To:            JARDINE  P <F3CM at UNB.CA>
Subject:       Re: more on diploid viruses
Date:          Wed, 2 Nov 1994 09:26:39

> out on the fun. By recombining genomes you can develop and adapt
much,
> much faster than by waiting for mutations, even if you are as
sloppy at
> replication as HIV is. Coincidental coinfection of two different
strains
> and the subsequent generation of psuedodiploid virions gives you
an
> incredible selective advantage over any other competitor.

...yes, but maybe the pseudodiploidy in retroviruses is simply an
FIRST an adaptation to the requirements of their peculiar
replication cycle and SECOND an advantage in terms of recombination?
 Recall that retroviruses need a template switch soon after
initiation of reverse transcription on one genomic RNA, because the
tRNA priming site is right up there at the 5' end - and what
provides a handy template template to switch to other than another
molecule of RNA attached to the first?  (or the other end of the
first, but let's not complicate matters).

> Hey, but I'm just a phage guy. PJ

No shame...some of our best prac stars are phages...!

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          | The percentage you're paying is too  |
 | (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)   | high-priced, and you're living beyond|
 | Dept Microbiology        |  all your means; And the man in the  |
 | University of Cape Town  |    suit has just bought a new car    |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |       From the profit he's made      |
 | 7700, South Africa       |            on your dreams...         |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |        - Steve Winwood, 1971         |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |   (Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys)    |