I AM fairly SCARED!!!!

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Wed Nov 2 03:04:22 EST 1994

> From:          "Justin W. Moore" <jwmoore at lonestar.utsa.edu>
> On 31 Oct 1994, RYBICKI, ED wrote:
>
> > Hey, don't SHOUT so, man...!  But thank you on behalf of my
>
> True.....but it does a good job in showing mankind that a species
> threatening virus, bacterium, etc. is not an impossiblity.  I'm
> The Hantavirus outbreak in the U.S. last year and the continual
discovery
> of new, and sometimes lethal, viruses in the tropics should make
everyone
> pay close attention to the world around us.......

Oh, we do, we do...I look for new and interesting (as in: lots of
disease potential) geminiviruses all the time; my wife searches out
new and interesting types of human papillomaviruses; my
sister-in-law is typing novel HIVs from southern Africa.  And you
will notice that epidemiogists and mol virologists were right on top
of the recent hantavirus pulmonary syndrome outbreak in the
south-western US.  We are probably better prepared now that at any
past time for outbreaks of nasties - witness the research explosion
stimulated by AIDS, which has resulted in our understanding
retroviruses in general, and lentiviruses in particular, so much
better, to say nothing of the functioning of the immune system.

Just because there are nasties out there doesn't mean they are going
to get us (I hope...)!
 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          | The percentage you're paying is too  |
 | (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)   | high-priced, and you're living beyond|
 | Dept Microbiology        |  all your means; And the man in the  |
 | University of Cape Town  |    suit has just bought a new car    |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |       From the profit he's made      |
 | 7700, South Africa       |            on your dreams...         |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |        - Steve Winwood, 1971         |
 | tel: xx27-21-650 3265    |   (Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys)    |