vaccines

ae at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk ae at dna.bio.warwick.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 16:27:21 EST 1994

In article <39det5$ldd at mserv1.dl.ac.uk> "J.P. Hays" <jph5 at leicester.ac.uk> writes:

>2) Vaccines may not be the panacea that people hope for. I'm writing from
>memory, but I'm sure there was a Respiratory Syncytial Virus vaccine used in
>America which facilitated greater morbidity in vaccinated individuals
>that came into contact with RSV than in unvaccinated individuals
>that came into contact with RSV.

The trial that you refer to involved the use of an inactivated RS virus
vaccine.  Following vaccination the children in the study were followed to
monitor their response to natural infection.  On infection the level of
morbididty was higher than would have been predicted statistically and there
was at least one death.  Follow up study has not revealed the cause but it is
possible that the problem arose from the single batch of vaccine used in that
particular trial.  The use of alternative vaccine strategies for RS virus e.g.
live attenuated viruses are still being actively pursued with some degree of
hope.

Andrew Easton
Department of Biological Sciences
University of Warwick