I AM fairly SCARED!!!!

T.J. Fitzmaurice tjf11 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 4 10:08:43 EST 1994

In article <3995bl$kqv at umbc9.umbc.edu>, chatski carl <chatski at umbc.edu> wrote:

>The place in the world today where there is the most evolutionary
>pressure on viruses is the laboratory.  Unintentional or intentional.

Evolutionary pressure to do what. Change or stay stable?

If you mean to change then I have to disagree. Here a lab is trying to grow this
virus to titre to use it. The conditions it lives in are made to be as good as
is available for the virus. As opposed to the real world where thousands of
immune systems are kicking into action to take it out, vaccines are made
specifically to aid in destroying it, antiviral agents are pumped into hosts
to kill it and in certain circumstances entire host reservoirs are controlled/
damaged or destroyed in an effort to wipe the virus out. Now where would you
feel greater need to change your DNA?

Tim