I AM fairly SCARED!!!!

Robert.Coelen at jcu.edu.au Robert.Coelen at jcu.edu.au
Sun Nov 6 18:49:40 EST 1994

In article <39blpf$efr at news.CCIT.Arizona.EDU> Martinez Hewlett <hewlett at brahms.biosci.arizona.edu> writes:
>We found the same thing when examining the laboratory passage of LaCrosse
>encephalitis virus and snowshoe hare virus.  Laboratory passage produced
>selected few variations in nucleic acid sequence, wherease viruses
>isolated in the wild at different times varied widely.  (Reference:  M.
>J. Hewlett, J. P. M. Clerx, C. M. Clerx-van Haaster, L. J. Chandler, D.
>M. McLean and B. J. Beaty (1992), Genomic and biologic analyses of
>snowshoe hare virus field and laboratory strains, Amer. J. Trop. Med.
>Hyg., 46, 524-532)

I can add my $0.02 worth to this thread: IN my laboratory we tried to
change the genotype of Ross River virus by high moi passaging. After ten
passages, we found, using RNase T1 mapping not a single change. We calculated
(on the basis of the number of spots and their approximate size) that we were
scanning about 10% of the genome. Having said this, it is a fairly straightforward
task to cause genotypic differences by growing the same virus in the presence of neutralising
monoclonal antibodies, as has been aptly demonstrated by the group of Dalgarno and Weir
in Canberra

Cheers,

Robert

Dr Robert J. Coelen                                  fax:   61-77-791 526
Dept of Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences  phone: 61-77-815 024
James Cook University of North Queensland
Townsville-just-about-on-THE-reef, Q, 4811
                                      o     e
                                       w   d
                                        n n