Reservoir for Marburg in clay?

Walter Lundby lundbys at xnet.com
Mon Nov 7 04:04:04 EST 1994

Reservoir for Marburg in clay?

Proposal:   the reservoir for the Marburg and Ebola Reston viruses might not be
            in a living being but in a clay, shale or petrified wood deposit.

Reasoning:

1) A recent book on insect DNA preservation in amber mentions that very old
   DNA has been discovered in some clays and shales in a preserved if not
   totally intact state. This book, also, mentions the possibility of extracting
   DNA from petrified wood.

2) Recent articles on possible origins of life have mentioned clay as an ideal
   substitute for cell walls for early RNA and DNA.

3) Kitum cave contains a petrified rain forest with petrified bones of ancient
   animals. I would assume that clay(s) would, also, be found.

4) As described in the "Hot Zone" elephants dig the rock (and clays) for
   minerals and salts.

5) A search of the cave by a US-Kenya expedition turned up no reservoir animals.

6) As stated by Richard Preston in his book these viruses don't behave like
   parasites rather they behave like hunters. He then wonders what life-form the
   viral reservoir is. To me it seems quite likely that if they do the damage to
   so many life forms that they seem to do then it would be in keeping with their
   behavior if no life-form was the reservoir, rather a inorganic RNA "friendly"
   reservoir.

7) Richard Preston when describing the macaque monkeys with the initial sickness
   at Reston stated: "... In addition to vegetables and fruits, they eat insects,
   grass, roots, and small pieces of clay..."

This isn't my area of expertise (computer scientist), but, I hope it stimulates
some useful thought in those whose area it is.

Walter Lundby
lundby at cig.mot.com or lundbys at xnet.com