Superinfection question

mdcabl at cc.newcastle.edu.au mdcabl at cc.newcastle.edu.au
Tue Nov 8 23:21:52 EST 1994

Hi all,
Just wondering.  What happens when two different species of virus
attempt to infect the same cell? Is there still a block on superinfection? I
especially wonder if perhaps a cytoplasmic virus can replicate in the same cell
if it already has an retro virus infection like AIDS.  I have been told that
non-HIV viral infection in AIDS pateints is a problem.  Are the two viruses
competing for the same cells or just finding different parts of the host to
replicate in?  Finally has anyone researched how viruses which co-exist in the
same host compete against each other, if at all?  I couldn't find anything on
medline on this.  Any theories or speculations are welcome.
Cheers,
Allen Black
Dept. of Pathology
Univ. of Newcastle