Monkey Virus

chatski carl chatski at umbc.edu
Sat Nov 26 03:31:42 EST 1994

In article <3b5hi2$i3n at seymour.sfu.ca>,
Gerald Yen-Wei Chen <geraldye at fraser.sfu.ca> wrote:
>please forgive me if it has.  I just have a few questions on the
>so-called Monkey Virus.  All that I know about it is that it is a
>class 4 bio-hazard virus (which is the most dangerous), that it
>causes the blood vessels to expand and break, and is extremely deadly.
>Can anyone tell me where it originated from, to what extent it has
>infected humans (if any) and any other relevant information on the
>subject?

I think you are referring to Marburg virus(1967), originally called
Green Monkey Virus, a haemorhaggic fever.  Its name was changed when
no natural reservoir could be found.

In the 70's a close relative caused an outbreak in Sudan. It is called Ebola.
There is no known natural reservoir for this virus either.