Monkey Virus

Vikram Misra Misra at
Fri Nov 25 19:40:16 EST 1994

In article <3b5hi2$i3n at>, geraldye at (Gerald
Yen-Wei Chen) wrote:

> Hi,
> I dont know if this has been covered on this newsgroup before so
> please forgive me if it has.  I just have a few questions on the
> so-called Monkey Virus.

You are probably referring to the Herpes B virus. This virus causes a
relatively mild infection in rhesus monkeys (much like herpes simplexvirus
cold sores in humans) but produces a serious peracute encephalitic disease
in humans. Most human cases are due to bites and are usually fatal.