P4 facilities

mooret at aclcb.purdue.edu mooret at aclcb.purdue.edu
Wed Nov 30 10:11:05 EST 1994

In article <D03984.B2B at umassd.edu>, s14840mz at umassd.edu wrote:

> Does anyone know of a list of viruses that are only to be studied in a
> P4 facility?
> Michael J. Zanis
> UMass at Dartmouth

According to the CDC manual published in 1984, only a small subset of
arboviruses are classied as P4.  These include Congo-Crimean hemorrhagic
fever, tick-borne encephalitis virus complex (which has a number of
members), Marburg, Ebola, Lassa fever, Junin, and Machupo viruses.  I am
sure you can now add Hanta virus of recent southwestern U.S. fame to this
list, although I am not 100% certain of this.  There are also viruses that
are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety (eg smallpox).

Best wishes, keep this newsgroup going.

Steve Broyles
Purdue University