P4 facilities

Martin Hewlett hewlett at brahms.biosci.arizona.edu
Wed Nov 30 17:15:58 EST 1994

> In article <D03984.B2B at umassd.edu>, s14840mz at umassd.edu wrote:

> According to the CDC manual published in 1984, only a small subset of
> arboviruses are classied as P4.  These include Congo-Crimean hemorrhagic
> fever, tick-borne encephalitis virus complex (which has a number of
> members), Marburg, Ebola, Lassa fever, Junin, and Machupo viruses.  I am
> sure you can now add Hanta virus of recent southwestern U.S. fame to this
> list, although I am not 100% certain of this.  There are also viruses that
> are beyond P4 in terms of biosafety (eg smallpox).
>
> Best wishes, keep this newsgroup going.
>
> Steve Broyles
> Purdue University

Not to be too picky but not all of these are "arboviruses" (arthropod-borne viruses).  Specifically, I don't think anyone has shown that either Marburg or Ebola are vectored by an arthropod.  Hantaviruses, although members of the Bunyaviridae, are not arthropod-vectored, but rather rodent-vectored.

Martin Hewlett
Dept. of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona
Tucson, Arizona